VP Marketing Communications & Strategy
The People of Southwest Airlines come together to deliver on our Purpose, which is to connect People to what’s important in their lives through friendly, reliable, and low-cost air travel. The Vice President Marketing Communications & Strategy invests in the future of Southwest’s People in their work leading and championing the Teams within the Marketing Communications & Strategy pillar of Marketing. This Leader leads various Teams and initiatives that ensure Southwest is strategically positioned to win more Customers, grow more revenue, and deliver on our vision to be the world’s most loved, most efficient, and most profitable airline. This VP works with all Commercial Teams to manage marketing costs effectively and profitably. The VP Marketing Communications & Strategy is passionate about connecting with and developing our People in order to best serve our Customers, and they are excited to embrace innovation and continuous improvement in this important and impactful space. They’ll have the opportunity to drive the future of Southwest Airlines alongside some of the most talented Marketers in the industry.
- The culture of Southwest Airlines means we embrace a flexible workplace and value the camaraderie, collaboration, and innovation that occurs when we come together and interact face-to-face at our vibrant Corporate Campus. This role is a hybrid position based out of our Corporate Campus in Dallas, TX, which requires Employees to work onsite on our Corporate Campus at least three days a week. The Department designates the specific three days of the week Employees must work on-site.
- U.S. citizenship or current authorization to work in the U.S. is required, and no current or future work authorization sponsorship available.
- For eligible Leadership and individual contributor roles, additional bonus opportunities are available and awarded at the discretion of the Company.
Southwest Airlines is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We continue to look for opportunities to reflect the communities we serve, and welcome applicants with diverse thoughts, backgrounds, and experiences.
- Responsible for the vision, development, and execution of the strategies for Southwest Airlines brand and marketing calendar. Responsible for how Southwest shows up in the marketplace. Responsible for leading the Teams and efforts to advance Southwest capabilities in these areas, drive company growth & performance, and fostering Southwest’s Brand loyalty and engagement.
Model the Southwest Way
- Guide and lead Team Members using SWA talent management practices to coach, develop, and engage Employees
- Adhere to Company values and competencies to foster a Culture of inclusion, recognition, and support of a safe work environment
- Invest in Leadership and self-growth through participating in continuous learning and development
- Lead marketing initiative strategy function for the Company, working closely with Loyalty and Analytics Teams to ensure that our marketing calendar approach is suited to meet all Company revenue goals and established KPIs
- Provide thought leadership in developing the Marketing Go-to-Market vision and plan for calendar execution
- Oversee all budgets in respective areas including, Paid Media, Brand/Advertising, and Marketing Strategy
- Build the organization's capabilities required to implement and support the plans for the Marketing Go-to-market Teams
- Leverage Customer Insights, Digital Experience, Customer Experience, Brand, Media, and Consumer Trends to advance capabilities
- Ensure collaborative communication across Marketing Teams, Customer Org, other Commercial Teams, Technology, and Enterprise resulting in data driven results that achieve objectives
- Participate in developing integrated marketing and product strategies designed to meet the organizations strategic goals and drive the change towards a Customer-centric product overall, and are measurable
- Oversee marketing advertising, branding strategy and tactics, events and experiential marketing, and governance of brand standards
- Work closely with and manage key agency partners to ensure crisp execution of advertising/branding strategies
- Keep abreast of related industry, professional and technological trends, issues, products and/or services, as applicable, to ensure the current and future effectiveness and profitability of services, policies, technologies, staff proficiencies and processes as they relate to assigned areas of responsibility; and, where needed, drive the Company to adapt
- Collaborate and partner closely with other Marketing and Commercial leaders, their teams as well as peers in other Departments to develop aligned plans and strategies
- Communicate to align expectations, inspire action and spread vision across the Organization and Enterprise
- Articulate a vision for alignment and unity, including the strategic, long-term management of all resources
- May perform other job duties as directed by Employee's Leaders
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, Leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of People and resource
- Skilled in executive written and oral communication
- Skilled in analytics and problem solving to help partners understand and prioritize opportunities in the context of the bigger picture
- Ability to plan and drive large business initiatives to completion
- Ability to present with impact and influence Senior Leadership
- Ability to establish and inspire trust within Team, Marketing department, and Enterprise Partners
- Ability to gain commitment to shared goals with peers, team, and Marketing department
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships across the organization in order to influence business decisions
- Ability to demonstrate high emotional intelligence in various situations dealing with both internal and external resources
- Ability to build capacity of individuals and Teams through effective Employee development, involvement, communication and leadership efforts.
- Ability to drive results, to bring others along and consistently produce top tier results
- Ability to use business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the resolution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities.
- Ability to translate data into insights and effectively tell the story at an executive level
- Ability to consolidate information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions
- Ability to be influential and lead change and initiatives cross-functionally
- Required: High School Diploma or GED
- Demonstrated experience leading multiple teams or functions through subordinate Leaders
- Advanced level Business Acumen in functional area with understanding of broad business impacts
Expansive and far reaching knowledge in:
- Customer Marketing
- Leading large, strategic initiatives and developing business cases
- Ability to perform work duties from [limited space work station/desk/office area] for extended periods of time
- Ability to communicate and interact with others in the English language to meet the demands of the job
- Ability to use a computer and other office productivity tools with sufficient speed and accuracy to meet the demands of the job
- Must maintain a well-groomed appearance per Company appearance standards as described in established guidelines
- Must be a U.S. citizen or have authorization to work in the United States as defined by the Immigration Reform Act of 1986
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must be able to comply with Company attendance standards as described in established guidelines
Benefits you’ll love:
- Fly for free, as a privilege, on any open seat on all Southwest flights—your eligible dependents too.
- Up to a 9.3% 401(k) Company match, dollar for dollar, per paycheck.**
- Potential for annual ProfitSharing contribution toward retirement - when Southwest profits, you profit.***
- Explore more Benefits you’ll love: swa.is/benefits
401(k) match contributions are subject to the plan’s vesting schedule and applicable IRS limits
ProfitSharing contributions are subject to plan’s vesting schedule and are made at the discretion of the Company
Southwest Airlines is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please print/save this job description because it won't be available after you apply.