Labor Communication Specialist
Our Company Promise
We are committed to provide our Employees a stable work environment with equal opportunity for learning and personal growth. Creativity and innovation are encouraged for improving the effectiveness of Southwest Airlines. Above all, Employees will be provided the same concern, respect, and caring attitude within the organization that they are expected to share externally with every Southwest Customer.
The People of Southwest Airlines come together to deliver on our Purpose, which is to connect People to what's important in their lives through friendly, reliable, and low-cost air travel. The Labor Communication Specialist invests in the future of Southwest's People by supporting labor and union communication initiatives. This includes planning, writing, attending union meetings, seeking input and approval, monitoring social channels, and reporting and tracking communication. This collaborative role will partner closely with Labor Communication Team Members, Negotiating Teams, Operation Leaders, Communication Advisors, and external stakeholders to develop and deliver communications and update plans. The Labor Communication Specialist is an innovative, forward-thinker with strong written and verbal communication skills that is excited to drive the future of Labor Communication at Southwest.
- The culture of Southwest Airlines means we embrace a flexible workplace and value the camaraderie, collaboration, and innovation that occurs when we come together and interact face-to-face at our vibrant Corporate Campus. This role is a hybrid position based out of our Corporate Campus in Dallas, TX, which requires Employees to work onsite on our Corporate Campus at least three days a week. The Department designates the specific three days of the week Employees must work on-site.
- U.S. citizenship or current authorization to work in the U.S. is required, and no current or future work authorization sponsorship available.
- For eligible Leadership and individual contributor roles, additional bonus opportunities are available and awarded at the discretion of the Company.
Southwest Airlines is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We continue to look for opportunities to reflect the communities we serve, and welcome applicants with diverse thoughts, backgrounds, and experiences.
- Write and design communications for Leaders and Employees including memos, letters, negotiation updates, toolkits, presentations, digital signs, resource guides, pamphlets, video scripts, banners, and articles
- Develop and provide training to internal Customers on the appropriate use, content, design, workflows, and changes associated with communication platforms
- Develop communication strategies for the delivery of corporate culture and business strategy
- Partner with Department Leadership and Labor Relations Teams to gather information regarding strategic planning for contract negotiations and long-term goals
- Partner, communicate, and build relationships to gather Customer and business requirements and communicate effectively on behalf of Sr. Leadership
- Monitor industry news and union communications relating to labor negotiations
- Monitor, document, and archive incoming and outgoing labor communications
- Assist with updating and reviewing the Labor Negotiations website for relevancy, consistency, and accuracy
- Edit, standardize, or make changes to material prepared by other writers or department personnel
- Act as a representative on negotiating Teams, working to secure new contracts with unionized groups
- May perform other job duties as directed by Employee's Leaders
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods including alternative ways to inform and entertain using written, oral, and visual media
- Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar
- Skilled in understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making
- Skilled in giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times
- Skilled in Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience
- Ability to listen, understand, and communicate ideas presented in writing and speaking with others
- Ability to come up with unusual or clever ideas about a given topic or situation, or to develop creative ways to solve a problem
- Ability to read and understand information and ideas presented in writing
- Required: High School Diploma or GED
- Entry level experience; developing skills and knowledge in planning, monitoring, writing, and coordination of internal and external communications
- Physical Abilities
- Ability to perform work duties from [limited space work station/desk/office area] for extended periods of time
- Ability to communicate and interact with others in the English language to meet the demands of the job
- Ability to use a computer and other office productivity tools with sufficient speed and accuracy to meet the demands of the job
- Other Qualifications
- Must maintain a well-groomed appearance per Company appearance standards as described in established guidelines
- Must be a U.S. citizen or have authorization to work in the United States as defined by the Immigration Reform Act of 1986
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must be able to comply with Company attendance standards as described in established guidelines
Benefits you'll love:
- Fly for free, as a privilege, on any open seat on all Southwest flights-your eligible dependents too.
- Up to a 9.3% 401(k) Company match, dollar for dollar, per paycheck.*
- Potential for annual ProfitSharing contribution toward retirement - when Southwest profits, you profit.**
- Explore more Benefits you'll love: swa.is/benefits
*401(k) match contributions are subject to the plan's vesting schedule and applicable IRS limits
**ProfitSharing contributions are subject to plan's vesting schedule and are made at the discretion of the Company
Southwest Airlines is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please print/save this job description because it won't be available after you apply.
Similar jobs near me
- Exploring the Income Potential of an Insurance Underwriter
- Understanding the Role of an Underwriter in Insurance
- Navigating the Job Market: Tips for Insurance Underwriters
- Unemployment Insurance: Understanding Financial Support for Job Loss
- Navigating the Education Requirements for a Career as an Insurance Underwriter