Process Engineer, Crystallization Systems
Tesla's Materials Engineering group is looking for a highly motivated Process Engineer to work on a critical challenge facing the world's energy transition - Battery Cathode materials. As a process engineer in our Cell Engineering Team, you will lead the development and deployment of new-to-the world chemical production processes and equipment This particular position will be focused on the crystallization and solid-liquid separation circuit, utilizing an environmentally friendly, zero liquid discharge process to produce cathode material. You will be working closely with industry experts and technology providers to ensure successful and timely project delivery. Responsibilities will include designing new processing facilities to produce key intermediates in the battery materials value chain. A successful team member will lead projects starting from the concept through to design, install, integration, ramp, and handover to operations teams.
- Develop schematics and detailed designs for world-scale, chemical processing facilities used to convert mining intermediates and raw materials into state-of-the-art battery precursors
- Interface with equipment and technology suppliers throughout all stages of the project: concept development, detailed engineering, procurement, installation, and acceptance testing
- Develop operating procedures, safety protocols, and maintenance plans for large-scale chemical process equipment
- Support operations teams with achieving productivity and material quality targets on full commercial scale systems
- Work closely with the laboratory R&D team in parallel, to de-risk full scale plant design and development
- Examples of these responsibilities may include:
- Developing and maintaining process flow diagrams, process design criteria, stream tables, and piping & instrumentation diagrams
- Providing input to equipment specifications & datasheets, instrument datasheets, control narratives, and 3D plant layouts
- Performing calculations to support the development of mass & energy balances, heat transfer models, and hydraulic circuits
- Review, validate, and manage engineering documents from third party technology providers
- Evidence of exceptional ability, including understanding of engineering fundamentals and demonstrated ability to leverage this understanding to solve challenging problems
- Participation in engineering projects from concept development to commissioning and ramp-up
- Experience in a vendor facing role. Working closely with third party technology providers to ensure accurate scope delivery
- Experience with either hydrometallurgy, evaporator systems, or solid-liquid separation processes. Examples may include
- Solid liquid separation equipment - centrifuge, hydrocyclones, thickeners, etc
- Forced circulation evaporative concentrators, crystallizers
- Experience working with fouling, scaling prone slurry processes
- Familiar with general plant equipment - pumps for slurry application, vapor compressors, scrubbers, candle filters, heat exchangers, etc
- 1-5 years experience in a chemical process design, chemical production, or EPC role
- Experience with the following industries and/or production environments
- Large-scale mining, hydrometallurgy, industrial water treatment or desalination
- Large-scale chemical production processes
- Engineering, procurement, and construction
Tesla is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Tesla is also committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. Please let your recruiter know if you need an accommodation at any point during the interview process.
For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here). Please contact [email protected] for additional information or to request accommodations.
Privacy is a top priority for Tesla. We build it into our products and view it as an essential part of our business. To understand more about the data we collect and process as part of your application, please view our Tesla Talent Privacy Notice.