Health Data Analytics Intern
1000 Red River Street
Austin , Texas, 78701
Health Data Analytics Intern
Requisition ID: req733 Employment Type: Classified Temporary Full-Time (CTF) Division: HIB Analytics and Engagement Compensation: $21.50, Hourly Wage Location: TRS Job Closing: January 15th at 5:00pm, CST
WHO WE ARE:
Service, Respect, and Connection are core to the individual and collective TRS experience. We know that great service rests on a foundation of relationships that connect us all to an empowering and rewarding career. At TRS, we're inspired by our diverse community who bring authenticity and commitment to our mission to improve the retirement security of public education employees and retirees throughout Texas.
As a group of achievers, we tap collaboration and innovation to raise the bar in performance, administering and counseling pensions and healthcare benefits to ensure certainty for the future of our members. We invite you to join us, where both personal and career growth are respected and where you can make a difference in our members' lives every day.
Note: This position is a temporary, limited term assignment.
The Health Data Analytics Student Intern will help the Health and Insurance Benefits (HIB) Department at TRS meet its goal of harnessing its data to optimize its health management strategies, identify actionable patterns in health care claims, and assess areas where interventions could add value and produce better health outcomes.
This position performs entry (entry to routine-level) project work related to their field of study and analyzing health care/insurance related data. Work involves supporting agency operations with a primary focus on gaining practical work experience and business skills for personal development or to satisfy educational requirements. Works under close supervision with limited latitude for initiative and independent judgment. This position reports to the manager or director of the assigned department.
Benefits of a TRS Health Data Analytics Internship: This is a paid, full-time position that offers interns the opportunity to gain substantive experience in health insurance, health care-related finance, and analysis. Interns enjoy the chance to get training and mentoring from experienced professionals in one or more of these areas. Interns may also be eligible to continue working part-time through the fall and spring semesters, depending on department and agency needs.
This position will start on June 5th and will end around August 11th 2023.
All applicants must submit a resume to be considered for the position. The interview process may consist of a one-way video interview in addition to an in-person (or remote) interview. If selected to move forward, applicants will receive written instructions for both steps via email.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
Health & Insurance Analytics Projects
- Analyzes enrollment medical claims data to identify trends and anomalies and to identify areas of action and support actuarial analysis.
- Assists in the production of reports for TRS Board and external stakeholders, including creating visualizations and drafting narrative.
- Develops and conducts an observational study using claims and enrollment data to evaluate an intervention.
- Develops a summary document describing the data and document data limitations and nuances to enhance analysis and reporting.
- Assists TRS with assessing variation in its health plan populations by analyzing and stratifying data by conditions, utilization, and spending as well as other relevant metrics.
- Assists TRS with research to benchmark TRS health benefits against other employer-based coverage.
- May assist in researching, compiling, and analyzing data; entering data into spreadsheets, databases, and other automated applications; and preparing complex queries and reports.
- May review forms, correspondence, reports, and other documents for completeness and acceptability.
- May assist in reviewing and analyzing agency policies, procedures, and forms and recommending changes to improve efficiency and effectiveness.
- Assists in completing special projects and performs other work as assigned.
Performs related work as assigned
WHAT YOU WILL BRING:
- Currently enrolled in and actively attending an accredited college or university as an undergraduate student with a declared major in a related field such as public health, actuarial science, mathematics, statistics, economics, data science, informatics or a related program AND within 12 months of graduation; OR
- Enrolled as a graduate student (Master or Doctoral) in a one of the fields listed above or a related program.
- Applicant will be required to submit a copy of official college transcripts.
- Experience with SQL, R, and R Markdown, and a general aptitude for programming is needed.
- Experience working on similar projects to the ones described above.
- Letter(s) of recommendation from program professor(s) are strongly encouraged.
- Experience using Microsoft Office software.
- Experience creating data visualizations to explain complex data to broad audiences using a variety of tools.
- General office practices and procedures.
- General health insurance terminology and definitions.
- Research and data analysis techniques.
- Organizing and prioritizing work to manage a high-volume workload in a fast-paced environment and completing work accurately while meeting deadlines.
- Conducting data searches and evaluations of large amounts of information, performing complex analysis of the data, and preparing concise and accurate reports and written/oral recommendations.
- Verbal and written communication of complex information that is accurate, timely, and based on sound judgment.
- Providing quality customer service.
- Reviewing documentation; properly applying complex laws, regulations, rules, and policies; and making decisions based on sound judgment.
- Using a personal computer in a Windows and Microsoft Office (Word, Excel) environment, and accurately performing data entry.
- Establish and maintain harmonious working relationships with co-workers, agency staff, and other external contacts.
- Work effectively in a professional team environment.
Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) Codes:
Veterans, Reservists or Guardsmen with experience in the Military Occupational Specialty ( http://www.hr.sao.texas.gov/Compensation/MilitaryCrosswalk/MOSC_AdministrativeSupport.pdf ) along with the minimum qualifications listed above may meet the minimum requirements and are highly encouraged to apply. Please contact Talent Acquisition at [email protected] with questions or for additional information.
To view all job vacancies, visit www.trs.texas.gov/careers or www.trs.csod.com/careersite.
For more information, visit www.trs.texas.gov.